It's about time to feel better.

This past year has been one of new discoveries about health. I would like to share a bit of what I have learned and some of the fabulous, healthful recipes.

Friday, January 4, 2013

Recipe - Basic Vegetable Broth


I love keeping this vegetable broth on hand.  I keep quarts of it in my freezer.  It is possible to can it, though I haven't done that yet.  That would be nice because it would be room temperature, instead of having to plan ahead and thaw the frozen broth.  The ingredient list is just a starting point.  Feel free to add many and varied vegetables.  Don't think that it should taste like soup when you are finished.  The broth is just a good, solid base for many recipes.

When I make broth, I clean out the refrigerator of any vegetable that needs to be used.  This also gets added to the pot.  Sometimes I use as many as 15 vegetables.  The time I threw beets into the mix, the stock came out red.  I used that batch to make corn tortillas, and they were the size and color of bologna!  Marvelous taste, though.  
INGREDIENTS
1
large onion
2
stalks celery, including some leaves
2
large carrots
1
bunch green onions, chopped
8
cloves garlic, minced
8
sprigs fresh parsley
6
sprigs fresh thyme
2
bay leaves
1
teaspoon salt

Water enough to cover all vegetables.
INSTRUCTIONS
1.
Chop scrubbed vegetables into 1-inch chunks. Remember, the greater the surface area, the more quickly vegetables will yield their flavor.
2.
Put onion, celery, carrots, scallions, garlic, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves. Cook over high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
3.
Add salt and water and bring to a boil. The water level should be well above the vegetable level - 50% more. For instance, if the height of the vegetables in the pan is 4 inches, put in enough water so it is 6 inches high in the pan. If the vegetables are 6 inches high, make the water level 9 inches high in the pan.
4.
Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 45 minutes until all vegetables are soft. Blend well. Makes a nice, thick stock.
5.
Other ingredients to consider: mushrooms, eggplant, asparagus (butt ends), corn cobs, fennel (stalks and trimmings), bell peppers, pea pods, chard (stems and leaves), celery root parings, marjoram (stems and leaves), basil, potato parings . . . Get the idea?

2 comments:

  1. I actually made this a couple of days ago. I cleaned out my fridge of vegees. I pressure canned it at 15 pounds for my canner for 40 minutes. Trying it out on ham and bean soup next. So far so good. Thanks Winn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to make it, but I am happy to have the instructions and to learn from a pro! Heres to better health! :)

    ReplyDelete