It's about time to feel better.

This past year has been one of new discoveries about health. I would like to share a bit of what I have learned and some of the fabulous, healthful recipes.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Recipe - Almond milk

Since I cannot tolerate most commercially produced foods (think 2 - 4 day migraine!) I have searched for recipes that can be made from scratch in my own kitchen.

There are many recipes for almond milk, and here is one of them.  I think drinking non-dairy milk is an acquired taste, but I do love cooking with it.  If this recipe is being used for a non-sweet dish, I don't add the date.

Yum Universe has put together a wonderful article about non-dairy milks.  It is very informative and can be found here.

Almond Milk

INGREDIENTS

1 cup raw almonds

water for soaking nuts
4cups water
1 date
1/2tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Soak the almonds in water overnight or for at least 8 hours.
2.Drain the water from the almonds and discard. Blend the 4 cups of water, almonds, dates, vanilla and salt until smooth.
3.Strain the blended almond mixture using a cheesecloth, nut bag, or other strainer.
4.Homemade raw almond milk will keep well in the refrigerator for three or four days.

3 comments:

  1. When you and I made almond milk we didn't soak the almonds. Does soaking improve the flavor/texture? Or does it just make it more nutritious? I like to soak seeds WPF-style so soaking makes sense, but I just wondered if it also improves the taste.

    I ordered some almond-coconut-blend-milk from Azure Standard this month. It sounds yummy and I hope it will satisfy my non-dairy milk-lover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte, As you know, soaking seeds and nuts make them more nutritious. I don't notice a difference in the texture or taste in the milk.

    The day we made the almond milk, I had not planned ahead to soak the almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally made some and though I can't drink it alone, it worked great in a smoothie I like.

    ReplyDelete