Changing our habits is hard. Changing our eating habits is especially hard, because the things around us stay the same. We still pass the same fast food joints as we drive about, we push our carts in the grocery store past the same foods that call to us. (Peanut M&M's shout the loudest to me!) Our families usually are not ready to make any changes, and "demand" that the same types of meals continue as before. Social gatherings offer the same foods, and not eating with everyone else at first can feel awkward. The government (FDA and others) condones the Standard American Diet (SAD). Sometimes family and friends who don't understand our motives can discourage us.
With all these things working against a person, the thought of changing can feel overwhelming. So why change? My answer to that is because bad health affects every aspect of our life. We should put forth our best effort on this change, because when we feel good, we can do so much more with the time we have. It has a rippling effect on the people around us, and everyone benefits.
My advise to anyone thinking about making the move is to start out with little changes. As your will power increases and you get used to the new way of life, add a few more changes. It will be amazing to see what improvements happen.
Peanut M&Ms are not allowed here. I can say "no" as I walk past them in the store, but I can't say "no" over and over again in my home. So, my husband is welcome to buy them and stash them in his car, or even in the house if I don't know about it. He has been very supportive and I haven't seen a single M&M here since that request.
As I continue to study the effects of foods on the human body, my biggest regret is not learning about this earlier in my life. But better late than never. I will never go back. If I could be assured that the headaches would not come back, no matter what I ate, I would still not go back. Too many other benefits to enjoy.
"Forks Over Knives" is an encouraging show to watch. Lots of information on why and what. It is on Netflix and Amazon. I highly recommend it.
No comments:
Post a Comment