It's about time to feel better.

This past year has been one of new discoveries about health. I would like to share a bit of what I have learned and some of the fabulous, healthful recipes.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Recipe - Asparagus & New Potato Hash

Becoming a vegetarian has been an interesting journey.  As I have stated before, mushy cooked vegetables turn my stomach.  Ugh.  But there has to be delicious ways to enjoy cooked vegetables, and I am determined to find them.

Asparagus is one of those vegetables.  In my memory, the last time I ate asparagus was decades years ago, and it was not an experience I wanted to repeat.

Now that this journey has begun, I am going to try everything (again!) at least once.  We had asparagus and potatoes tonight.  This recipe is really good.  I used it as a twice baked potato, though.  Cut 10 Yukon Gold potatoes in half and cook in a 350 degree oven for 1.5 hours.  Cover with a sheet of aluminum foil.  Cook the rest of the recipe as outlined, omitting the potatoes.  When the baked potatoes are soft, scoop out all but a 1/4" edge.  Put in a bowl with a cup of non-dairy milk, some salt, and pepper.  When the potato mixture is as soft as you would like, add the asparagus part.  Scoop back into potato shells.  For those of you who eat cheese, you can sprinkle some on top.  Pop back into the oven for 10 - 15 minutes.

Asparagus-New Potato Mix

INGREDIENTS

1pound small red potatoes
1pound fresh asparagus
2shallots, minced
1teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1teaspoon salt
1/2teaspoon pepper
2teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Garnish: lemon slices

INSTRUCTIONS

1.Cut potatoes into quarters.  Bring potatoes and salted water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook 15 minutes or just until tender; drain well. Cool 15 minutes; cut into quarters.
2.Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus. Cut asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
3.Sauté shallots in a few Tbls water in a large nonstick skillet 1 minute. Add asparagus, thyme, salt, pepper, and lemon juice; sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Add potatoes, and sauté 3 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated. Remove from heat. Garnish, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment