It's about time to feel better.

This past year has been one of new discoveries about health. I would like to share a bit of what I have learned and some of the fabulous, healthful recipes.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Recipe - Cauliflower "Ground Beef"

This is not a typical recipe, but rather an idea for your own recipes.

Spaghetti
Take about 1/2 head of cauliflower and cut into smaller sizes so that it can fit into your food processor.  Pulse the machine until the cauliflower is the size of ground beef.

If you don't have a food processor, put the chunks in your blender with some water.  When the pieces are the right size, strain off the water.

Dump the ground up cauliflower into a skillet and cook with onions and garlic or whatever else you usually use to get ready for your spaghetti.  When the other ingredients are cooked in the manner to which you are accustomed, add it all into the spaghetti sauce.  

Martha Stewart has a recipe for Cauliflower Steaks with Roasted Pepper and Tomato Salad.  I haven't tried it, but maybe someday I will.

The cauliflower has the texture of ground beef.  It has no strong flavor and absorbs the flavors around it.  It amazingly works.  It doesn't taste exactly like ground beef, but is a wonderful substitute.

The first time I tried using this cauliflower ground beef, I used some as the meat in tacos.  It was okay, but I had cooked it too long and it lost too much texture.  I used taco seasoning, which I would try again, but there were too many things going on around me and I lost track of time.

What other things could you use this for?  I can only imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment